Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Nerd Excursions

Being the huge goober that I am, I recently had the chance to visit Cartoon Colour Company Inc. in Culver City while I was working near there. Ever since my college days I had been ordering Ingram punched animation paper from them and still draw nearly everything on it to this day.

The place itself is pretty run down and dusty. When you go inside there is nothing but a small waiting room with a squeeky chair to sit on. Across from there is a glass cabinet with cells from shows like "Fat Albert" and "Charlie Brown". When I bought my paper, they said that only 2 people usually do walk-in orders, an animator from "Fat Albert" and an older woman who used to work for Disney. Pretty ol' schoo company to be included in!

However it was still very awesome for me, those guys have been around since 1947 and I hope they will stick around for many more although according to 1 of the 3 employees working there, times have been rough especially with another possible actor's strike looming. I think it sucks when places and things that you love start to disappear, whether they go on for many more years or not they will always be a part of what made me excited to get into the world of art and animation.

Hey buy something from them if you get a chance and support a legendary company while you still can!

http://cartooncolour.com/

No comments: